Good Morning!
I know it's a Monday and this is a long wordy post, so if you don't read it all I understand!
Today I would have liked to show you some samples of my new notepad designs that I got from the printers...but the printers were running a little late on their jobs last week and so didn't get round to finishing all my order off. I should be getting the new designs either today or tomorrow so I will give a little sneaky look at them on Wednesday. Also I have decided, after spending so much on Etsy fees last month, I think it is time to start my own shop over on big cartel.
This would mean just one monthly fee & I think this change/development is quite exciting in a way as it feels like starting all over again, it feels like a challenge! I will still keep my etsy shop up & running, but would really like to get everything for my new shop up and ready to go before the end of September or at the latest early October.
...So, if any of you have any tips, or think there is something you would expect to see from an online shop, just let me know in the comments and I will see if it is possible to work your recommendations into my new shop. (I will keep you updated on the progress of the new shop every Wednesday)
I also think it is time to increase my prices (which will come into effect with my new shop opening) to reflect the time and effort my work takes to make, plus now I am actually working on my papercut designs full time and making this my career, not just a hobby.
All these changes will include a more organised way of creating designs and releasing new work for both my artwork and my stationery designs. I would like to release a Spring/Summer collection of artwork designs that will focus on one or two themes and then release an Autumn/Winter set of artwork designs that also focus on one or two themes. I feel this would give me a more focused approach to my work and give me more time to promote my designs instead of constantly making & listing random designs in my shop.
I also want to release four different ranges of stationery to coincide with the release of my two releases of artwork designs. These would be more regular throughout the year and would be released as a Spring range, Summer range, Autumn range and a Winter range. Again I feel this would just help me focus in on specific products and promotion of them.
Well this is all just talk for now, I need to get all this into action and get organised, but I will keep you updated!
Oh and If you managed to read this whole post...thank you, I hope it was worth it!
That is great news!
ReplyDeleteI really like Big Cartel and think it is a nicer way to show your items than Etsy but one thing it does lack is the Etsy traffic. So we do have to put in the extra mile to get our shops noticed.
Its a really good idea to have to two shops running. I switch items about between the two. I'm still on a learning curve with it all but its all good fun along the way.
Wish you the best of luck with all :)
x
I managed to read it all! (It wasn't *that* long really...) ;)
ReplyDeleteI also have a Big Cartel shop but haven't been doing much with it so far. http://www.theblackbirdsings.bigcartel.com/
I like the way you have a little more freedom to design the page the way you want to, but it really does lack the traffic of Etsy. I know how you feel about Etsy fees - when I have a large sale on there (I sold two paintings in May, and that transaction alone was over $400.00) or a busy month with several sales, the fees can hit you a little hard. They're not astronomical, but they're not cheap either.
I love your idea of focused product ranges/collections - I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
That wasn't long!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree that you should raise your prices - though my pocket will be sad your work is worth more than the current prices, for sure. Good for you.
Good luck!
this all sounds great jonathan... good luck :)
ReplyDelete