A Quick little update...

Hello! I hope you're all enjoying a day off work for the Royal wedding today if you are in the UK.

It seems a bit out of the blue, but I have been thinking recently about what my title and direction is with my artwork & designs...

Designer...Artist...Maker?
I am comfortable with all the above titles and roles but haven't really embraced any of them fully. I feel as though I have only focused on the maker side, with a few hints at the design side of my work, so now I would like to delve into the art side of my work.

What Direction?
I would love to create some larger scale papercut pieces that are very limited edition or one offs & I have wanted to make make more art type pieces for a while, but always felt as though art ensured less income than design, which I don't think is necessarily true as pricing is so different due to the nature of one off pieces of artwork.


Designer?
I still love design and would love to get more work with big clients (like I did here with Lynx) it is just a matter of creating more commercially viable work that could be used in things such as ad campaigns like this one that I love! (by Kate Forrester) and getting it seen by the right people.

Artist?
I feel I have potential to create larger art pieces as I would love to spend a long time focused on one giant, detailed papercut piece, plus I feel as though this would also generate more income, because lets be honest that is important too! I have to remind myself that this is a business sometimes as it feels great to be working daily on things that I love, which never feels like work!

Whats Next?
I will be starting the new project I mentioned here on Monday, I will be sending out the second Mr Yen newsletter on May 1st and I will be keeping my shops open and running (Big Cartel, Etsy, NOTHS) while starting work on some designs for a large on off papercut. I am also starting to design things for events later in the year, such as Christmas products for the shop - more on this later next week! (Yes Christmas already!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate every single one and will always try to comment back!