Hello!
All this week I have been taking new photos of all the Mr Yen shop products and business cards. While updating the Mr Yen website in between uploading and editing photos (more on that later this week!) I have decided to have all my product photos black/white/grey now as they are the only colours of paper I use - so I thought I would go with it and create all my photos in the same way to create a more coherent look to my shop and my products.
New Branding Imagery
To go with my new product photographs I have decided to add a few tweaks to some Mr Yen branding elements (as you can see the blog header above, the Mr Yen Big cartel shop and my Etsy shop header too). In each of my papercut product photos you can now see ribbons, my scalpel and a piece of crystal (smokey quartz).
I would like to explain why I chose these things as they could appear to be random prop choices, but the piece of crystal was chosen as each piece of crystal or semi-precious stone is always a one of a kind. Each crystal has natural unique aspects to it, just like my papercuts and I also feel using a semi-precious piece of crystal/stone is a nice way to show the delicacy, detail and value of my pieces.
The ribbon used in my product shots is a reference to my logo, which I have had for quite some time now - the Mr Yen logo uses a banner/ribbon element, which I feel represents luxury and thoughtfully wrapped presents/gifts, which is something I feel my papercuts would be great for....and the scalpel/blade is the exact knife I use to cut all my papercut artwork!
New Way of Listing...
Hope you found it interesting knowing all the 'behind the scenes' reasons for why I do what I do. I will be back tomorrow with the first Thursday Finds post!

Love the new branding elements and how you have carried it through to the photography too.
ReplyDeleteLovely job Mr. Yen ;D
I have a problem with etsy shop banners, being so long and thin! Need to get working on mine ;o)
Thanks Jax, I usually take these photos (that I know will be used for banners/headers etc) really zoomed out so I can crop and play around with composition while editing : )
ReplyDeleteProbably an idd question here, but I was wondering where you get the paper blocks for your notebooks, Im after one or two for a uni project (just putting the project branding on a 'real' notebook) and can't find any on UK sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ReplyDeleteYviemarie