{zine inspiration and ideas}
I would really like to create a zine over summer, as it will relate to my personal & university design practice alongside my dissertation. Small publications and handmade books are something that i find really interesting and creative and i love the qualities that they have. I think handmade publications have a special quality that is always a really original feeling and i find they always have really interesting, diverse content. I have made a tiny start on zine ideas by just writing down things that i would like to create a zine about. i am going to be on the lookout for ideas and inspiration everywhere! i downloaded kerri smiths "100 ideas" and i think by getting a start on these i will kick start my creativity and get my brain working creatively. I cant wait to have a finished product, all hand stitched by me and printed in full colour, or black and white.... i haven't decided yet, but i would like it to be slightly more substantial, in content, than a small leaflet and would like to include body copy text and illustrations. I would like to attempt a full double page spread too and include some kind of free poster or sticker set to go with it. I think this will be a project that will take a whole summer, researching, experimenting, testing, developing and eventually creating a final product. I would like to create this zine as a one off experiment and if i enjoy it, create a whole set or series of zines based on similar topics. I will need to gather all my text/body copy research and adapt and write it in my own words and as i think this is the thing that will prove the most difficult, it will take the longest time. Also i was thinking that if i created a zine based on a specific subject, and i wanted the illustrations a certain way, then i could contact some people i know to see if they would contribute their drawings to the zine. All this talk is making me excited to get it all started....who would have thought that i would like researching my dissertation topic so much and in such a way that i actually end up making my own zine! I have bought this DIY guide to zines and zine culture called "Stolen Sharpie Revolution" from brainscan on etsy and i hope that this will help me with my research and with creating my own zine! i can't wait for it to arrive so i can get my hands on it and get reading and creating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i think you're overthinking it. zines are supposed to be straight from the heart. that's what makes them unique and special. create a strange/different format for your zine (round book, book with a hole in the middle, etc.) and work your subject matter around it. or something like that. in the university setting, which i am also in, it's easy to get worried about doing research and making sure you're making something "relevant". make something that's truly relevant to you and you'll find that it's relevant to other's as well.
ReplyDeletei think your right. It is the whole university thing that i keep thinking of, so i can use my zine for university and for my own personal use. thanks for the advice : )
ReplyDelete